Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sex and the City: The Movie (2008)

I miss Samantha, Carrie and Miranda...Charlotte not so much but after four years, they came back to give us more. I was uncertain about the SATC movie. When good series give us the big screen version, things can go very wrong. May it's the viewers fault, ultimately, for setting our expectations too high, but we are hopeful and excited and it's what we do. But, I digress...SATC wasn't what I was expecting.

(Spoiler Alert: Read at Your Own Risk!)

At 148 minutes, I'd anticipated a syrupy, we're-all-so-happy-in-our-$400-shoes-and-life-is-grand type movie, but it was actually more complicated. Miranda and Steve have hit a rough patch and experience serious marital issues; Samantha realizes she has customized her entire life to revolve around Smith; and Charlotte (ho-hum) is still happy happy and only getting happier. The main plot that unifies all of the ladies is the drama that develops yet again between Carrie and Big. The ladies come together to help Carrie deal with the big blow she has suffered and this is where the magic happens. You feel their love and camaraderie and it's magic, in spite of some of the interpersonal problems. I left the cinema feeling pretty good. In discussing the movie with some of my ladies, we liked the choices the screen writer made. It was great to see a lady of color (Jennifer Hudson) added to the mix. And, the ending, it felt right. Now the big question is...will they do a sequel. I say no, but then, I say yes.

Themes: Friendship, marriage, trust, infidelity, forgiveness, independence, hope

Director: Michael Patrick King

1-5 Scale: I give it a 4...enjoyable, especially if you were a fan of the series.

No comments: