Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)

I'm in love with the Judd Apatow crew, in the following order: 40-Year-Old Virgin, Superbad and Knocked Up. As the movie began, I was waiting for the laughs but they weren't as frequent as in the other three movies.

Written by Jason Segel (better known as Nick Andopolis from Freaks and Geeks and Eric from Undeclared), this 118-minute comedy revolves around a composer dude who's famous celebrity girlfriend has just broken up with him. He decides to head off on a solo week-long vacation to Hawaii, a place often praised by his now ex, and then, bumps into her and her new boyfriend at the same hotel.

The thing about this movie is that although it may not contain as many hilarious moments as the other three films, this one has some rich little morsels. For example, Jason Segel is extremely likeable as the vulnerable lead character of Peter. He's a good guy who is heartbroken and stuck. When he heads off solo to try and find some happiness, he finds chaos and adventure. Part of what I loved so much about this movie was the plotting--this guy takes a solo trip and meets so many people, in spite of his sadness, in spite of having to see his ex and her new boyfriend. He meets Rachel (Mila Kunis)and they become friends. As he befriends other hotel staff, soon he's got a network of friends, including his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend, Aldous Snow (played by Russell Brand), lead singer of the Infinite Sorrow. Snow is my favorite character of this movie. He's introduced as this extreme cheeseball and you can't believe she has left sweet Peter for Aldous' pompous English ass, but by the end, I wanted to see him with his own series because he was just so amusing. There is a fantastic dinner scene that really cracked me up.

While this isn't the funniest offering from the Judd Apatow gang, it has a lot of heart and you feel good during and afterwards.

Themes: Heartbreak, betrayal, forgiveness, infidelity, island living, vampires, following your dreams

Director: Nicholas Stoller

1-5 Scale: 4...I just can't award it a 5.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Judd Apatow crew has some crossover with the Adam Sandler crew. I would like to hear your opinion of their new one, Zohan.
I would recommend you check out Grandma's Boy on dvd. I think you'd enjoy it.

Diana Mivelli said...

The problem is that I detest Adam Sandler. The only time I liked him was his cameo in Freaks and Geeks where he played himself and he was an ass. I've heard lots of good things about Grandma's Boy...I'll add it to my list.

Anonymous said...

When i got back to the UK, I discovered that someone called Russell Brand had apparently become a top comic / funny person / standup / panel show personality.

Perhaps because I wasn't eased into him (oh err) as the UK TV viewing public was, but had him pushed into my face (as it were) I did not take to him. I find him unfunny.

But I don't like The Might Boosch either. I think I'm just getting old and grumpy.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking Zohan would be good because Judd Apatow is a co-writer. But it's getting bad reviews. Probably a typical Adam Sandler movie...not worth going. I'll wait til it's on HBO.